Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dead men do tell tales.



I’m a huge Michael Crichton fan, and I’m not sure how I feel about this. As most people are aware of, the author of such amazing novels like Jurassic Park, Congo, and The Andromeda Strain died of Cancer last November 4th. For me he was a favorite author and is really the reason I became interested in reading in the first place. I recently found out that there are plans to release two of his novels post mortem. One will be a pirate novel called Pirate Latitudes and will focus on pirates in the New World. This novel is scheduled for a November 2009 release.

The second is based on notes found on his computer and will be fully fleshed out by another author. It is a techno thriller and is scheduled to come out sometime in 2010. My problem is the raiding of Crichton’s computer for profit. Obviously his publishers are hurt by their loss, but do they need to capitalize on his death by publishing notes left on his computer? The pirate story I’m fine with, but the plans to release a book basically written by someone else and using some notes from his computer doesn’t sit well with me. There are several novels that are just notes on his computer and could be re-written but should they? Is it better to leave a legacy, or have it tarnished by someone else that may take an idea he once had and make it something totally different? Anyone have an opinion?

Read the NY Times article.

No comments:

Post a Comment