Monday, March 14, 2011

That's Interwebs

Hey everyone. It’s been a while but I’ve been busy settling in and getting adjusted to my new life in Southern California. So far, man it’s been gorgeous. The weather, the people, it’s been quite wonderful. And I gotta say, as was the case in Milwaukee when I was alone in a new city, the internet has reached out it’s loving wires and given me an embrace.

In a mere, three weeks since I’ve been out her, I’ve made at least four different connections with new friends that express similar interests. In a variety of places and types of people. I’ve met great people to drink good beer and catch a movie with. I’ve watched a fried chicken eating contest with people who like gaming. I’ve smoked hookah with my new roommates. It’s been a transition, but it’s been a fun one.

And amazingly, all of these people who didn’t exist in my life up until three weeks ago, were introduced to me by the ultimate networker, the internet.

I love how the internet has evolved from a place where antisocial freaks can bitch about the latest season of Battlestar Gallactica, to this magical world where you can meet new and interesting people just by typing a few sentances and hitting send. The hangups about the creepiness are gone (for the most part). As long as you use good judgment by meeting new people in a public place (to avoid potential stabbings) you can literally open up a world of opportunity.

So get out there fans of the internet, and meet some cool people. I know it’s possible. It’s all I’ve done the last four years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment